Roofing is one of the most important parts of the home that will ever need work. It’s the part of the home that provides shelter and warmth apart from insulated walls. Roofing will need repair for several reasons throughout the life of the home. There are many ways a roof can become damaged. If you live in an area that has high winds, rain, extreme heat and other extreme weather conditions you’ll need to inspect your roof quite a bit. There are several reasons one might need a new roof or a roof repair.
- Wind and Hail Damage: Always make sure you are safe when checking your roof for damage after a storm. You may be able to view some of the roof from an interior window or, from the ground using binoculars. With us, a roof inspection is free so don’t hesitate to call us, even if you are not sure that the roof was damaged.
- Leaks: Leaks are something that happen in a seemingly random way. This is an illusion, simply because there is a cause but you may not be aware of it. One of the most common causes for roof leaks is having a cracked or lifted shingle and water seeping through from rains. The leak may happen once or get bigger over time. Other leaks are always bound to emerge after that one.
- Impact Damage: This is generally from hail. If you can’t see the pock marks on the roof itself, it doesn’t mean that damage has not been done. If you see pock marks on the metal gutters and other places, rest assured that roof damage has probably occurred. You’ll want to call us to get an inspection done as soon as you can, it’s free so you aren’t losing anything by being proactive about the situation. Costs rise when you wait and things get worse.
Roof Replacement Signs:
- Shingles appear to be curled up or in a cupped shape.
- Granules are missing from shingle
- If your home is older, the roof may not be ventilated properly. If this is the case, shingles may be aging. This is possible when the roof reaches the 20 year mark.
- When you see your neighbors getting new roofs, this is a sign. If their properties were built at the same time yours was, you can probably gauge the timing of a replacement against theirs.
- One of the most common is that the roof looks like it could use a replacement. It just simply looks worn and old.
- Mold and algae streaking on the shingles.
- Moss overgrowth.
Roofing is the most integral part of the home. It’s nothing to play with and something that needs to be addressed in the form of an inspection, both visual and physical. The longer the roof waits for simple repairs the more chance of getting worse. Repairs don’t have to cost much if they are done systematically at the right time. Most leaks and other results of damage can be avoided.